Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Night Post 1

The barracks at Buchenwald.
Roundup of Jews in the Warsaw ghetto (1943)

These images of the Holocaust both have haunting qualities that are sure to leave you questioning the experiences of the people portrayed.
In your first blog post on Night, you will be choosing ONE of the pictures above, and telling the story of one of the people pictured. This is a creative writing assignment! I don't want to read the words "In this picture, I see..." in any of your responses.
Choose a point of view from which to tell the story. You might choose to tell the story in the first person (or "I") point of view.
Here is an example of what that would sound like:
I can't stand lying in the bunk any longer. Sleeping on a piece of ply wood with no fat left to serve as a pillow, I decide to get up. I am so hungry. Breakfast was so long ago: half a cup of weak tea and a crust of dry bread...
If you choose the third person (or "he/she") point of view, you would write about a person in the picture from another person's perspective. Here is an example of what that would sound like:
He raised his hands over his head, this small boy of the ghetto. He couldn't have been more than five. He made me think of my brother's boy, Paul. I bet these two would play together in the schoolyard, if life were normal, if these soldiers were not around every corner...
The idea is to be CREATIVE. Do not, DO NOT just tell me about what you see in the picture. Instead, tell me a story.
This is a 30 point test grade. Today is your only day in class to work on the assignment, but you may finish it tonight for homework. I will be checking your blog tomorrow for your completed entry; be sure to have your response posted by then.
Enjoy the experience!
Ms. Paulson

No comments: